A few days ago the Processing Foundation made the beta release of Processing 4 available for download. This was a great opportunity for me to review the Camera-3D and ColorBlindness libraries to make sure all of the example code works with the new version. I had to make some small changes here and there, as well as update some code to adapt to changes to the Shapes3D library. Everything now works and is ready for you to use in your creative projects.
This is the 3D animation I made for my holiday cards, using the open source library I've been building, py5. You'll need ChromaDepth glasses to see the 3D effect properly.
The actual source code for this animation is available on github as a gist. This is a good example of how one can easily augment py5 with a Java Processing library.
This animation took some time to create because I first had to figure out how to implement ChromaDepth in Java. It's also the first time I did something notable in Processing using shaders, and that took some effort to learn. Shaders are a topic I've been wanting to explore for a long time and am happy I got the opportunity to do so while creating this. I'm also happy that py5 performed well during the development process. I didn't have to fix any bugs. Hooray!
This year I learned how to create handmade cards using watercolors. I painted the cover of each card by hand. Have a look at the results.
A new version of Camera3D has been released!
Version 1.2 supports 360 videos. Here is an example:
In addition, I made some performance improvements using new tools found in Java 1.8. Processing 2.x is no longer supported.
More information available on the Camera-3D Camera-3D project page.
Tragically, the second lamp I made at ITP camp is gone.
I accidentally toppled it today. It fell, shattering into pieces.
I am not upset though. Most of the parts were salvageable and will be re-used in a future lamp. I have three wine bottles with holes already drilled in them, so I can make an identical lamp if I want to. I won't though. I realize now that filling the bottle to the top with gravel raised the center of gravity higher than where it should be. The next one will will be half filled with gravel. How about plastic or glass beads for the top half? I could make something that looks fishtank-like. I am sad that lamp is gone, but know that the next lamp will be better.
And now is a good time for a public service announcement on the proper way to clean up glass:
Very effective. I had bread-crumbs everywhere but that is much easier to deal with than the broken glass.
This is the 3D animation I made for my holiday cards. View this with red-cyan 3D Glasses (red on the left, cyan on the right).
Also have a look at last year's animation.
I made another lamp; this time, out of an empty wine bottle.
Similar design and build as the first one, made with leftover gravel. The lampshade is the same color and fabric, so they're an matching set!
Someday I'll probably make third one and give it away.
This past week I spent much of my time writing the documentation for my latest project, Camera-3D. This is an open source library for Processing. It will enable artists and creative technologists to transform their sketches into 3D anaglyphs and experiment with other 3D effects.
Once I finish the examples this will be ready to go live. I am so excited!